AH Beta is here!

• The video that they posted to show off the beta is just... awful.

To add insult to injury, after the HTC video ends YouTube recommends a video of the competition.

Total fucking facepalm guys... sheesh.
      As the four winds blow my wits through the door... it's been the worst day since yesterday.
    • The video was shit, but not because the game looks bad. The clouds looked fucking awesome in those buff scenes! The graphics look good....and I'm sure that little film viewer film doesn't do them justice. I can't wait until it's released in the full Aces High III version.

I'm pretty against fighting against, or having a bunch of AI fighters flying around, but the giant AI buff formations I can see as having an impact (pun intended) on gameplay for the better. Think of all the fighters that are going to be up trying to shoot those down. Hopefully it will generate some good fights.
    • I think having SOME AI planes integrated into the MA just might work out OK. Having swarms of AI bomber to simulate huge Polesti like bombing raids would give you something to do when the numbers/fights suck at least. That's about the only positive I can think of on that.

The game looks better, I will say it did something VERY strange today though, I'm going to post this on HTC later. When I first booted up trackIR with the new beta, I loaded the old AH game to make sure my profile was working (tckIR worked fine), then loaded up the new beta AH game. All of a sudden trackIR started working very, very slowly and laggy. No matter what I tried, reinstalling trackIR and drivers, unplugging the camera from USB ports, removing all trackIR stuff from the registry, it didn't matter - whenever I subsequently loaded trackIR the program would slow my whole PC down, act laggy, and eventually crash my machine. I had natural point/trackIR tech guys remote into my system for 2 hours this aft, trying to figure out wth was going on after that. I ended up having to reformat my tertiary/AH gaming machine to get the problem fixed, as the company guy couldn't fix it either. I don't know if it was just coincidence this happened as I switched from AH to AHbeta, but I find it odd that after 3 years of working fine, trackIR decided to do this right after I installed and ran the AHbeta. No matter how many times we reinstalled the trackir software and drivers, the program would lag out and the camera/clip would be so slow it'd take 20 seconds to pick up a motion, and then my PC even though the CPU would show low load, would become so slagged/slow we would have to reboot. Very odd.

Anyhow, gave me an excuse to try the Win10 version out at last, after installing it, the problem went away.

I've been messing with the beta, my AH box with the CH gear instead of the Warthog/custom pedals is my oldest, and next up for upgrading. Still, its a 4930k x79 with 2 980 in SLI, and it runs the beta at max everything including reflections at 100+ fps most of the time, I've seen it max out at my monitors max of 144fps quite a bit in open skies, and that's at 1440p. I prefer 1080p for target size, and reducing to that resolution actually has a negative impact on my FPS, even if I change my desktop to 1080p too. Weird. I have one 980 off as SLI profiles and AH usually make no dif in my experience, but even trying an SLI profile with the new beta, it still doesn't improve performance much if at all.

I'm still not seeing anything that is going to draw crowds of people to play this game at 15$ a month after a 2 week free trial. Nothing. It looks somewhat better, not a pile, just a little bit. Sound is better, but that isn't going to draw anyone. Unless they are holding some great idea(s) back, they aren't going to be happy with the results in terms of flocks of new members. Hell, there was only two, TWO people in the beta arena earlier this evening around 6 pm my time. Wow, even the current players don't seem all that enthused.
      It's nothing a little music can't help...

• I watched the video and have about the same impression. It looks better but not cosmically better.

As far as the AI, I think it will improve the game for me. I come to shoot at things, not chase people around. The AI will engage. If I have to attack huge bomber fleets to get trigger time, so be it. Whatever. The _airborne_ fight is the thing. Got no use for GVs or ship to ship shooting matches. Give me some targets to engage that fight back and I'm happy.

One thought I had watching the bomber fleets...they should mix skins in those. In the actual squadrons there were a mix of olive drab and silver aircraft for pretty much the entire European air war. The Pacific was different. OD in the early years, almost all silver as the war drew to a close and the newer machines made it out there.
      If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!”

Become a Libertarian! Or bend over and get the Obamessiah's longer, fatter federal nanny state shoved up your ass!
    • I do think the AI fleets will pose even more performance problems for many, many players. I'm using my 3rd machine, my slowest for AH, and it's an x79 platform running at 4.4 ghz with 2 980 GTX and the standard 16gb ram with SSDs type of deal. Still probably in the top 25% of Ah users PCs in terms of performance, hell, maybe top 10%.

When I spawned into a mission in progress, it put me into an A20 with about 15 or 20 other A20s. My FPS was about 30 or less, at 1440p with Gsync enabled and all the details on. It's the first time I've seen this machine look laggy/slow with ANY game out there. I've got videos of back when the Kommando Nowotny squad still existed before HTC disbanded it from FSO on us, of us attacking swarms of B17s in FSO, and my FPS were still over 100 with the current game. I'd love to see the same in the beta now, as if it drops FPS so low on a decent machine with just 20 nearby AI planes, wth is going to happen when that number is x10.

Notice how NOBODY seems to care about AH3 beta - I recall when AH2 beta came out, it was all anyone talked about, and the beta arena was swarming with action. I just checked, 1 person in the beta arena.

• D/L'd the Beta and spent a while with it on the Zeke/F4U mission and B-17/109 mission.

Overall...meh.

My computer put up 60 frame rates sitting in tower. I admit I don't have the latest greatest. Bogged down in the teens when buffs filled the skies. Hung in around upper 40s mid 50s in the zeke/F4U fur.

Seems the skies are really hazy on my computer. Tough to see horizon, tough to see the planes. If this is the pursuit of "realism", I'm totally not interested.

Also seems like the flight model got a little twitchy. Small stick movements give more response. I have it all set just like AHII as far as stick scaling/dead bands, etc.
      If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!”

Become a Libertarian! Or bend over and get the Obamessiah's longer, fatter federal nanny state shoved up your ass!
    • Another thing I don't understand. The glare/flare off the instrument glass when I'm heading INTO the sun.

First of all, it's just another one of the "realism" things that just makes the instruments hard to read. Couple that with indistinct horizons and it's a PITA for a game. But really? Maybe when the sun is shining ON the instruments but when they are shaded by the glare shield? (There's a reason they call it the glare shield).

I will say I did have fun chasing the AI around. I'll fool with it a bit more

I'd like to see him set up a few shorter 2 v 2 or 4 v 4 missions in the Beta.

Still my bottom is going to have to be visibility. If I can't see anything in the game, I won't be playing.

• Biggest single programming thing that's been pissing me off for a decade is the fucking SUN. WHY, does it have to appear, 24/7, like a fucking nuclear blast just went off
      Remember when it was frightening for the losing party not to accept the results of an election?
    • I've said a couple times now regarding the beta that one of the biggest struggles will be how HTC handles the "PR wars" that happen when something new comes out. It's just in its infancy, but there are already some very unhappy campers with old PCs starting to sqawk, and then even some with newer systems that they "thought" were "gamer" systems which frankly aren't, showing their dissatisfaction. Also, as I said and everyone knows, HTC doesn't deal very well with customers who are PITA and ask/say stupid things, and unlike the times of AH2 beta, HT will often get in there and slug it out with customers, making things even worse, and further alienating and angering his income stream.

Perfect example of this starting in the beta, I'm going to call it "Beta Wars" btw, and mark my words, it'll deserve its own forum here.

Some jerk off in this thread - bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,377072.0.html
      It's only a page or 2 long, but look at HTC's responses to what was probably a well baited hook -

HT -

"

Quote from: BFX88 on January 16, 2016, 12:52:34 PM

Utter BS you have not receive any feed back let alone "Defensive" from the game developers.

I

would strongly suggest your drop the attitude. Simply post your views
      and not be argumentative with people and make threatening statements
      like "With all due respect they will tell you where to stick your $15 a
      month." In reality the only thing your have stated is you like most
      stuff but think the colors are to saturated. Your FOV issue you can
      change as you like.

HiTech"

Skuzzy -

Quote from: Waffle on January 16, 2016, 08:50:24 PM

Ditto, but I bit my tongue. No, I literally bit my tongue.

Maybe he is confusing us with another game or another development team.

What I find truly amusing is Skuzzy's "who us" statements, which is frankly, ridiculous. How many times have they gone out of their way to choose to cross swords with people on their forums, doing the precise opposite of what any PR person would advise them, if they employed one there. I've kept records of any posts I read where HT/HTC has done this, part of me wanted to build a page of some great examples where HT chose to negatively engage people, especially over recent issues often complained about like map sizes, HQ hardness, side timers, and many other things that they did nothing about for ages, and then just made 1/2 ass changes to after agonizing for months and years over doing SOMETHING. Even little things, it seems the more minutiae like the complaint/post is, the more HT gets angry and takes it out on the poster.

Anyhow, if as their beta progresses, and existing players are forced to try it - I say this because I can't forsee any way or thing they can do at this point that is going to bring in droves to try it, until it's finished and some add campaign happens - the "Beta Wars" will only heat up. Stay tuned HTC hilarity fans, it's only the top of the 1st.

• I've been slightly disappointed in some aspects of the bepha (I refuse to call it that), for one, I think it is too soon to even consider calling it a beta. The colours are still off, and when you look down at the sea it's like looking into the eye of Sauron through a blue lens filter. The coast line breakers are badly done and the sea is even worse than FSX.

I sat on Wings of Prey and thought to myself, "this was released in 2008 and it's still better than AcesHigh in 2015/16". I also think that they have messed up with adding the lens flare; yes it's pretty but my eyes don't see that shit, no ones eyes do in the cockpit. When I made AH2 film I drained out 25% of the colour, with the Bepha I'll be draining out 50%+ to make it look lifelike. The worse thing is, I got to go flying recently and it has really brought out all of the failures of AcesHigh's look to me. (youtube.com/watch?v=3JbHoFUHZ6A)
      You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
      youtube.com/user/20Dolby10
      twitch.tv/glendinho
      INTEL i5-4690K, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUS Z97-P, AMD Radeon R9 390 8GB
    • Somebody help me out here.

I go in there and I have to sit on my ass for 7+ minutes waiting for a mission to start? What's up with that?

Fly a short mission and then sit around when there's NO ONE in the Beta? I'm the ONLY ONE IN THERE and I'm doing nothing for that long?

Grapevine, we have a problem.

• On that clipboard page where you select the arena, there are tabs at the top. Select the "Melee" tab - there are a couple of arenas in listed there - GS4 and Capture the Flag, sometimes there are a few people in those arenas.

I think the time lag may be to give more people time to get into the arena before the mission starts, but not sure. I don't know the whole story about missions and how they work.
    • Greebo's made map makes a hell of a difference. I was thinking to myself how sucky the bepha was until I was flying around CraterMA, and then it was back to how faggy the player base is. Wash was there cherrying a field and then running away to protect his "score" once he was damaged/lost his 8k advantage/wingtip, then RV6flyer who thought having enough fuel to run for 30+miles was reason enough to run from a fight to his own ack. Gayassery is gay.

So Greebo's map is so pretty, it essentially took my mind completely off how bad the bepha HTC made map graphics are to how gay people are. So, what I have learned; The bepha is excellent if the maps are made by Greebo, and RV^flyer and Wash need to be euthanized before they procreate.
      You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
      twitch.tv/glendinho
    • I think he's farming the artwork out to people in Ukraine.

• oboe wrote:

HTC is extremely lucky to have a player-contributor like Greebo. Plus he's great stick and a nice guy besides.

Did you get to play around in the clouds? How was your FR?
      I maxxed out all graphics and didn't find any drop in FR. A few patches ago prior to the bepha the game stopped stuttering and became really nice and smooth in comparison to AH2. But it should be noted that I have an 8Gb gfx card.
      twitch.tv/glendinho
    • Compared to current AH2, my Beta frame rates are pitiful. Had the same problem with the Alpha.

I know it's my card.... Star Citizen is unplayable till I get a new one, Fallout 4 struggles sometimes, although Elite Dangerous runs fine. I'll be getting a new card sometime soon.

It's just funny that AH2 has good FR, tweaked higher than the defaults, but both Alpha and Beta have terrible FR on default.

I did notice 8-10 FR drop flying directly through clouds.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Fury ().